Thursday, November 19, 2009

Touch your heart...

Just the other week, I happened to be with my friend talking about students these days and their lack of commitment. My friend (who happened to be a teacher as well) said that students these days have changed and most are self-centered; putting their own self-interests above everything else. The notion of "putting others ahead ourselves" is no a longer a reality; merely a rhetoric for us to dream of.

I did not believe what my friend said. I thought she went too far to criticize the current state of apathy that students these days are suffering from. Perhaps it was just the optimistic streak in me that believe that students today are still willing to go that extra mile. They are still thinking of others ahead of themselves; putting self-interest secondary to teamwork and unity.

Ten days later, I had to eat my words. As much as I hated to admit it, she was RIGHT! I had to swallow the humble pie when it dawned upon me that my current batch of Sec 2 cadets epitomise the very mould she was speaking about: self-vested individuals who complain at the slightest inch of discomfort, unwilling to serve the community that pins high hopes on them and acting nonchalant to the dedication invested towards them.

Pardon my language, it was as hard for you to read it as it was for me typing it out. But believe me, it was an even arduous task for me trying to reconcile the fact that out of a good 28 of them out there, I cannot even get twelve of you to help out for this coming Sunday morning. Excuses aplenty and I promise I won't even want to get there; for the fear that my darkest fear is revealed - that those months of dedication was a mere waste of time. Oh by the way, I've stopped asking when they will start planning their outing cos I'm just tired asking without them replying with excuses.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not despondent; just a little jaded. Don't even try to ask why. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll know why. I guess with this bunch, the only way is the Authoritarian way. What I say, you better do - no negotiations only because you do not deserve it!

Within the midst of thorns, a few diamonds still prevail. To Ying Xue, Kush, Joanne, Conan, Stefan & Hui Ru - I'll catch you this Sunday @ 7.45am in school. Bring your full NPCC uniform. Let's hope it ends by 1pm :)

I am praying to Him that 6 more volunteers will drop from the sky. I am not the least positive though. And till then, I'll keep asking - just where did we go wrong?

No comments: