Today is the last day of attachment and we are going to do something different today. That is photo-taking! We took an individual photo with our dog first then a group photo with the dogs.
We then proceed to the train station. Luckily, there is a train due in the next half an hour or so, and thus, we managed to see how the dogs work over there. We were told that the dogs have to check thoroughly in the train before and after they fetch their passengers. The dogs were checking for any drugs and other prohibited items.
After learning more about the dogs over there, we were brought to the dog pen area, a place where handlers feed, hydrate, groom and rest their dogs during the change of duty slots. According to the person-in-charge over there, there are a total of 40 over dogs been kept at there and these dogs are divided into four categories, namely, General Purposes, Security, Narcotics and Explosives. Each category trains its own dogs in a different way; the Narcotics and Explosives dogs gets their noses trained while Security dogs are used mainly for maintaining security and order in the penal institution. We then took a group picture with the K9 handler’s partner. Say hi to Chucky! (The Police Dog)
We were told that the job of the dogs is to search for illegal human hidding in car compartment and also drugs or contraband in their vehicle. I felt that the police dogs working over there are very noble as they can contribute to the Singapore society by maintaining the security of Singapore which many people cannot do as a human being.
After which, we went up to the checkpoint area for cars, and we were briefed their job scopes over there. There are many vehicles over there and they were waiting for their turns to be checked.
I felt that it is some sort of an educational visit to the Woodlands Checkpoint and I had certainly learnt more about the Singapore’s security structure from the K9 dogs and handler perspective. I am also amazed the bond the dogs and handler share as before that I do not really believe that a man’s best friend is the dog. But after seeing how the dogs work closely with the handler, I am convinced with this statement.
I think this is a great opportunity and experience to see how the police dogs work as not many people are allowed to go in and see behind the scene. I felt that this trip to Woodlands checkpoint is very fruitful and worthwhile and I personally felt honored after seeing how the police dogs do carry their duty.
After visiting the place, we head back to K9 Unit. Change back to the K9 pass, we had a short break before having our lunch. Lunch today was chicken drumstick with rice and vegetables plus banana and mango juice. Not too bad.
After lunch, we have another 2 hours rest. Went to the library and played ‘Hang Me’ with the guys. Well, hang me is actually hang man. We are just trying to make things extraordinary out from the ordinary. Ha-ha.
After playing till the marker no ink, we decide to go and see our dogs. Went to the sickbay and find Sally. But before that, we went to take a group photo
Sally again!
After playing with our dog, it is time to go up to the meeting room to have a dialogue session with Dominic, the overall-in-charge of this programme. However, we found that we are still early for the programme. So we played again! Played stacko and some other game.
Please do not learn from us unless your respective NCOs are in a happy mood. You might get pumped anytime!
After a game or so, it is time for our dialogue session. We shared our views about this programme and some positive changes that could be made to it. In this session, it is mentioned that food had became a problem as soon as the programme start. The food that we ate is supplied by the HTA canteen, thus they cannot change because of our sake. After some sharing of thoughts, it is time for prize presentation! I mean passing of certificate.
There is no 24 hour veterinarian to take care of the dogs if the dogs are sick. However, there is some trainers in K9 specialize for taking care of sick dogs. Thus when your dogs fall ill, it will be referred to them.
Another thing is that all Singapore Police Dog need to have a keychain on the leash that looks something like this. At the back of the keychain is their handler name and contact number.
Another thing I want to share with you is that dogs suffered from stress too! This is Egon.According to Johnny, Egon is a dog that is very stressed. He will bite his feed bowl and jump about in his kennel every day. He is a wash out dog, and every since he came to K9, he had not work a day or trained a day before. Such stressed dogs have no handler.
Rocky Roy is also a stressed dog too. He is in sickbay with Sally. Anyway, I want to share with you is that he have a very interesting nickname and that is Pablo Picasso. He is named this way as he would shit everyday and would step on his own shit and it would use his limbs to form a 'picture'. Artist, isn’t it?
Before.
After, see the floor.
Next thing I want to share is their posture. If your dog ever has a posture that looks something like this, please beware and prepare a plastic bag.
Reflection Time!
Handler Ying Xue says…
To me (Ying Xue), Sally is a good and friendly dog. Upon seeing strangers, she will not bark or have any aggressive actions towards them. I felt that I am one of the lucky ones as I can have close contact with the police dogs. All in all, I have fun with Sally, and I will treasure the times we had together. I hope I can see her again.
Through this programme I had learnt many things about dogs. Other than learning how to bathe them, groom them and feed the dogs, I also learnt the security structure from the handler’s and dog’s perspective. It is so much different watching it personally and seeing it on TV on how they train their police dogs. It is a very fruitful trip and I felt honored and lucky to be one of the cadets participating in this programme.
Handler Yan Lin says…
Pip is a very cute/hyper/nice dog. It’s my pleasure to take care of him. If you were to ask me to describe Pip, I would say he is as cute as Hwee Cheng ma'am, as handsome as Wiky sir, but definitely not as quiet as Si Kai sir. I won't forget him and will sure visit him again if I have the chance.
I feel that this is a really good programme. I must really thank the cadet who had suggested to NPCC HQ to set up this programme. K9 unit is not like a museum where anyone can go in and take a look. Dog in this unit is train to be protect Singapore's safety. I believe that only a few of them will know about K-9 unit.
Our 'Tour Guides'...
To sum up, we felt that it is an enriching programme and cadets should participate it. However, cadets must be prepared to do dirty jobs like ‘treasure hunting’ and cleaning of kennel. In case you guys are interested to go to this programme, the next attachment is in December. Though it is a fun programme, new rule had been implemented and only 1 cadet from each unit is allowed to go. Not only cadets have to take up dirty jobs, transport to there is also a big problem. Interview and selection is also one of the criteria. Moreover, food is also one of a big problem over the years. We are not trying to scare you, but rather state the facts clearly first. Go or not to go, the choice is yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment